Skip to main content

Chocolate Fudge Cookies with Toffee and Dried Cherries


So, yes I've joined another baking event! I can't help it...they're just so much fun. This one is all about cookies! Kate at the Clean Plate Club hosts a monthly event she calls the Cookie Carnival. This is my first month to play, and the recipe she chose was chocolate fudge cookies with toffee and dried cherries from this book. Now, I'll admit, I was a little...timid about trying this recipe. I mean, chocolate, cherries and toffee?? Sounded a bit odd in my opinion. Oh my how I was wrong! Well okay, it still sounds odd, lol, but it sure tastes good!! I couldn't even wait for one to finish cooling down before taste-testing it, so the chocolate chunks were all warm and gooey in the middle. Yum!!

I am heading up the hospitality committee at the elementary school this year, and we are having a treat day for the teachers tomorrow. I thought this would be the perfect thing to send!

Here's the recipe, and make sure to wipe the drool off of your keyboard! Too bad we can't send smells over the internet...

Chocolate Fudge Cookies with Toffee and Dried Cherries

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup plump, moist, dried sour cherries
8 oz. bitter or semisweet chocolate chopped into chunks about the size of the cherries
1 cup English toffee pieces for baking such as Skor bits
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350'F. Line two heavy baking sheets, not non-stick with parchment paper and set aside. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars until light in color and fluffy - about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the flour-mixture in 3 additions, blending just until the dry ingredients are moistened. This part is really easier with a wooden spoon since the batter is quite dense. The dough may be frozen at this point for up to 4 months; wrap securely in plastic wrap, then in a plastic freezer bag; thaw in the refrigerator without removing its wrapping before portioning the cookies and baking.
Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets and place them in the centre of the oven, turning half way through baking.

Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes (mine were done in 12-14 minutes) or until barely set in the centers and just firm around the edges. Cool cookies on tray for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before storing. Store in air tight containers, layered between sheets of parchment or waxed paper for up to 5 days.
Enjoy!!

Comments

Pamela said…
I just made mine this afternoon. They were really good. I loved the texture and contrast from the cherries. Yours look great!
Christi said…
They were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good, and I shared with Matt and he loved them too! YUM!
Melinda said…
Cherries, toffee and chocolate is kind of a strange combination - but very intriguing! I can't wait to try them!

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Cinnamon Dolce Latte

I recently professed my love of coffee and fancy coffee drinks.  After the success of the Peppermint Mocha , I decided to tackle the Cinnamon Dolce Latte, another one of my favorites.  According to the Starbucks website, it has flavors of "cinnamon, butter and brown sugar".  Well, I covered the cinnamon and brown sugar components, but left out the butter.  And you know what, I think it turned out quite well, if I do say so myself!  I honestly wasn't sure if the cinnamon flavor in the syrup was going to be strong enough, but it was.  I will admit to being impatient and not letting it steep for very long, so the cinnamon flavor might develop more if you do actually let it sit and cool off first.  If you wanted it to be even stronger, you could always add a tiny bit of cinnamon oil to it as well.  But be careful -- a little of that goes a long way! How much to make depends on how much you'll actually use.  I just made a single batch this first time, but considering

Thick and Chewy Snickerdoodles

I admit, I love snickerdoodles.   Cinnamon and vanilla?   Yes, please.   What’s funny is that I never really had them much as a kid, just occasionally in the school cafeteria.   I know, ew. Anyway, snickerdoodles were one of the first cookies that the Munchkin helped make when he was little.   He could help dump everything in the mixer (or “loud noise” as he would call it!) and then it was fun for him to roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar before putting them on the baking sheet. Even since then, my go-to recipe for snickerdoodles has been this one by Emeril.   It’s a great recipe, baking up a thin, crispy cookie (at least when I make them!).   However, I was looking for something different this time, something thicker and chewier.   I found this recipe from the blog How Sweet it Is .   I decided to try it, and while I did keep the ingredient list the same I changed up the method a bit to suit me better.   The result?   What I was looking for – thick and

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

While looking through my notebook, I ran across a recipe that I made oh, about 5 or so years ago. I remember making it. And I remember Sean loving it, which is a miracle considering it has a **shudder** vegetable in it. But I never made it again. I decided why not try it again. I've never made real Chicken Cordon Bleu, and I honestly think I've only eaten it once or twice, so I can't truly compare this casserole to the real thing. I made some changes to the recipe that I found, and in the recipe I've posted below I've made a few tweaks that I think will make it better. It's not a light recipe by any means, but if your New Year's Resolution was to eat healthier, you could probably make some changes to make it health ier ... It was good, but I probably won't make it often. While D and I liked it, Sean and even Kade just picked at it. Oh well. Random, but have I mentioned that school starts back today? I am SO ready. ;) Enjoy! Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole